Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, October 25, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Released Date: December 1, 2009
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Pages: Hardcover (563 pages)
Age Group: Young Adult
Series: Castor Chronicles #1
Genre: Fantasy
Author Website:
Overall Rating: (5 out of 5 Stars)


Description: Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.



Book Trailer:



Memorable Quotes:

"Mortals. I envy you. You think you can change things. Stop the universe. Undo what was done long before you came along. You are such beautiful creatures."


"So you are a vampire.'

I most certainly am not.' He looked annoyed. 'That's such a common phrase, such a cliche, and so unflattering. I suppose you believe in werewolves and aliens too. I blame television."


"Aunt Mercy put down her tiles, one at a time. I-T-C-H-I-N.
Aunt Grace leaned closer to the board, squinting. "Mercy Lynne, you're cheatin' again! What kinda word is that? Use it in a sentence."

"I'm itchin' ta have some a that white cake."

"That's not how you spell it." At least one of them could spell. Aunt Grace pulled one of the tiles off the board. "There's no T in itchin'." Or not."

My Musings: I picked up this book not knowing anything about it. Reading the title I assumed that I was going to read another vampire book, but was surprised and happy to realize that it was not. I really enjoyed this book from the inside out. The plot was great and flowed well. The characters were sensational and I can't wait to continue their journey in Beautiful Darkness.

Ethan Wate, the main character, was my favorite by far. His best character trait is his will not to conform to the crowd. I believe most people should be who their are no matter how others feel.

Another great element to the novel is the sense of family on both sides of the main characters. Ethan may not have his mom, but having his aunts and Amma is just enough. His wacky, crazy aunts had me rolling with laughter at their funny banter and baby squirrels. Lena on the other hand is fortunate to have relatives that are willing to protect her at all costs, even if they have to risk their own lives. I come from a very crazy, fun family and it was just like reading from a page of my own life.

The only thing I would change about this book would be Lena. There were moments in the book where I just wanted to strangle her. Its like one moment she wants Ethan around and then the next not. Make up your MIND!!!! Overall, two thumbs up :)

 Cover Art: I kind of wish the cover was more impressive. The purple script is nice but I would have liked to see a picture of either Ethan, Lena, or both.


Reading Order:
Beautiful Creatures
Beautiful Darkness
Beautiful Chaos
Untitled #4

2 comments:

Miss Page-Turner said...

Will read your+ comment your review properly after I've finished Beautiful Creatures. Am an page 387 now and enjoying it so much:)Love your quote section!
There is a cover with Lena an it, check out the german version(I've got the english edition aswell)http://www.amazon.de/Sixteen-Moons-Eine-unsterbliche-Liebe/dp/3570138283/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288038883&sr=8-1

Vee said...

I just reviewed Beautiful Creatures, too! I love your quotes -- especially the one from Macon about being human/beautiful creatures, that was one of my favourites, too.

Great review -- I prettty much agree with you (but I did have a couple more issues with it, as well) :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...