Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Released Date: January 11, 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: Hardcover (398 pages)
Age Group: Young Adult
Series: Across the Universe #1
Genre: Sci-Fi
Author Website: http://www.bethrevis.com/
Overall Rating: (4 out of 5 stars)

Description: A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
 
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Book Trailer:


Memorable Quotes:

"I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one."

"This is the secret of the stars, I tell myself. In the end, we are alone. No matter how close you seem, no one else can touch you."

"I could tell them about the different kinds of rain, pouring rain that's perfect for when you want to stay inside and watch a movie or read, or piercing rain that feels like needles on your skin, or soft summer rain that makes your first kiss with your first love all the sweeter."

"Dreams are like that: they go in and out of memories and scenes, but they are never real. They're never real, and I hate them because they aren't."

My Musings: I was really excited to read this book. I read the first chapter online and couldn't wait to dive into the rest of the pages. I was definitely not disappointed. My usual tastes in books are not sci-fi, but I found that this was a very easy book to get through.

The changing of the perspectives between the two main characters, Amy and Elder, helped to understand the struggles of both sides of the situation. Amy is a character you can relate to. She goes through many hardships that give perspective on life and makes you appreciate the mundane things in life. Because on the Godspeed, she does not have the simple luxuries of a night sky, a McDonalds hamburger, or other ridiculus things that we have to enjoy on Earth. I truly enjoyed reading her story. Elder on the other hand, has never lived a life on Earth, and has a hard time relating to Amy on certain levels. He struggles to live a life like his best friend, while trying to learn how to be the future leader of the Godspeed. What both of these characters have in common is that something wicked is happening on the ship, and they must rely on each other to figure out the villian.

The main reason I gave this book a 4/5 is because there wasn't enough romance between Elder and Amy. I am a sucker for romance and I crave it. I just wasn't satisfied in that department with this book. The good news is there are two more books in the future for this series, so I hope my romance addiction will be fulfilled.

Happy Reading!!!!

Cover Art: I am absolutely in love with the cover.

Reading Order:
Across the Universe
Untitled #2
Untitled #3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read this. It is in the mail and on its way!

Somer @ A Bird's Eye Review

Just So Jess said...

This was such a fun book to read. I can't wait for the next one to see what happens!

Anonymous said...

I just finished this one - it is great! I know what you mean about the romance and I wanted a little bit more but I think Beth Revis is building it up which I appreciate - I hate when characters fall in love immediately. I can't wait for the second book - but it's going to be a while!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...